The 2016 Floods
Recording-breaking rains caused widespread flooding across Tasmania in June 2016. Major flooding occurred in the Mersey, Forth, Meander, North Esk, South Esk, Macquarie, Ouse and Derwent Rivers. The speed and severity of the floods tragically resulted in loss of life and devastation to large numbers of families, businesses, farmers and local communities. A second severe flooding event occurred in July resulting in the Huon River’s worst flood in two decades.
The floods caused social, economic and environmental impacts across 20 of Tasmania’s 29 Local Government Areas. The total cost of recovery was estimated at $180 million.
Across Tasmania many groups have worked hard to help with the recovery process, including individuals, community groups, businesses and government. The results of this collaborative effort have been impressive.
The Tasmanian Government’s flood recovery response
The Tasmanian Government established the Tasmanian Flood Recovery Taskforce to work with affected communities and others in the recovery and rebuilding process. It was led by Commander Peter Edwards, who has extensive experience in disaster recovery, including the 2013 Dunalley bushfires.
The Taskforce played an important role securing Australian Government disaster funding and supporting locally-led recovery efforts by our flood-affected communities and feeding their concerns back to the Tasmanian Government.
Flood Recovery Taskforce Report
The Taskforce released its final report in June 2017 to document the floods themselves, highlight some of the short-term activities and longer-term arrangements put in place as part of recovery and provide insights to inform future planning and mitigation efforts.
- Flood Recovery Taskforce Report (PDF, 5MB)
Knowing what support is available and where to find it is an important part of the recovery process. See the Flood Assistance page.
- Looking after yourself following a traumatic event (PDF, 343KB)
Taskforce Media Releases
- 18 October 2016: Top clinical psychologist to help Northwest flood-affected communities (PDF, 117KB)
- 18 October 2016: Survey to fix flood-damaged rivers really takes off (PDF, 111KB)
- 18 August 2016: More time to apply for flood transport subsidy (PDF, 99KB)
- 28 June 2016: Disaster Recovery Allowance Welcomed (PDF, 151KB)
- 24 June 2016: Northern Flood Recovery Committee launched (PDF, 166KB)
- 22 June 2016: Tassie sporting heroes on flood clean up (PDF, 162KB)
- 17 June 2016: Regional Flood Recovery Committee launched (PDF, 159KB)